Tuesday, June 5, 2007

And she's off!

Monday's run was the first run to officially kick off my marathon training! It was kind of anticlimactic to start it off with an easy 3, but I figured I might as well practice what it feels like going slow, since something tells me these recovery runs will be much-needed as my training progresses. It was pouring rain much of the day yesterday, so I held off my run until the evening, hoping the rain would eventually subside. Thankfully, it did, so I was able to run outside rather than on the treadmill!

One problem I encountered was finding a decent 3-mile route. The shortest loop I can really do in Central Park is 4 miles, and considering I'm a mile away from the park, it hardly seemed worth dealing with 2 miles of city streets and traffic for 1 mile in the park. So I decided just to go on the path that runs along the East River. For much of the time, it runs directly beside FDR drive, so I try to avoid it as I don't think I'm doing my lungs much good breathing in all that exhaust, but at least I don't have to cross traffic or deal with double wide strollers, dogs on too-long leashes, or other crazy pedestrians! I had to guess about where the turn-around point would be to get to a total of 3 miles, and overshot by a bit, but not a huge deal. I also thought that I was running slooooowwwwww, but my time of 30:19 is still an 8:50 pace. I guess because I didn't really "need" that much recovery I was able to feel comfortable at that pace. I'm sure as my weekends get tougher, these Monday recovery runs will get much slower - both because my legs will want to go slower from being tired and I'll get better at gaging my pace.

1 comment:

Cat said...

Yay for marathon training starting!!