Thursday, April 3, 2008

Cruise Control

Today I woke up earlier than normal and in an ever-so-slight fog caused by an extra glass(es) of wine with dinner. It took a lot of coaxing to get my body out the door this morning, especially since my friend couldn't meet me as planned. But, I was awake without time to run this evening, so I finally convinced my legs to move.

If you can believe it, my calves are still sore from Monday. But the minute I started to run I knew my legs were back to their normal state of energy, and it was finally an effortless run. I actually found myself having to rein my speed in a little bit. I don't want to overdo it so close to Sunday race day. It helped that it was a beautiful morning - one of those early spring days when it's still quite cool but something about the angle of the sun and the feel of the air lets you know it's definitely spring. The park is beginning to bloom - the pear trees, crocuses and daffodils are appearing and shoots of green are peeking through last year's fallen leaves.

During my run I thought of a good goal over the next few weeks. As I increase mileage my midweek runs of course get longer. I would really like to get into the habit of a-waking up earlier and b-more importantly I think, hit the road no more than 30 minutes after my alarm sounds. This gives me time for a cup of coffee and a good morning chat with BF without wasting too much time. Focusing on this now will hopefully make the mornings where it's truly necessary feel easier.

6.3 miles in 54:57 (8:37 min/mile)

No comments: